Saturday, July 5, 2014

Figure Invention for Animation - Historical Redraws

So, our assignment this week was to take some famous photos from history and re-draw them, and to use value. Here is my first approach.


So this is actually a picture of a woman visiting Pablo Picasso during his studies... but artists drawing artists is pretty boring. So I decided I wanted to depict a father daughter relationship at the dinner table. I started the piece thinking that they'd just be eating, but then I wondered why the girl was hovering over him in my piece. Can you decipher what's going on here? It's subtle!

If you hadn't guessed, don't feel bad. I placed the fork in the father's hand the wrong way after watching Planet of the Apes. Getting warmer? It's a daughter trying to help her father battle Alzheimer's. I hope the emotion comes across!

Last of all, I had to take a stab at the photo that literally everyone knows... the famous sailor kissing photo. During my research, I found that apparently this wasn't a romantic reunion at all, but rather it was a sexual assault on an unsuspecting nurse by a drunken sailor. America, you disappoint me. Luckily, the Disney romantic in me tells me to ignore that and create my own story... a post-war lover's kiss. All their friends are happy for them!



No comments:

Post a Comment