Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Sketching for Environment - Historical Thumbnails

Time for another homework update. This week, I went to what I found to be the most historical building in Burbank.

In 1924, American architect Kenneth MacDonald Jr and Italian sculptor Federico Giorgi constructed the Valhalla Memorial Rotunda to serve as a final resting place for pioneers of aviation, including Amelia Earhart.


The structure was later renamed "The Portal of the Folded Wings", with a replica of the shuttle Challenger being added to the path in front of it.






The main area beyond the shrine serves as a large cemetery.


Now for the sketches. I wanted to focus more on my linework and less on tone. Again, poor image quality, so sorry.








That last one is an interior view of this, in case it wasn't clear.



After I got all sketched out on this building, I spotted a fountain further down the path.







Last, here are some additional studies I did of the Hotel Green in downtown Pasadena.


I think I took steps forward in my composition and staging, but my location didn't have enough overlapping shapes like a city would, so I hope to have more opportunity to explore that.

No comments:

Post a Comment