Sunday, March 16, 2014

Sketching for Environment - Extreme Angles

Wow, it's been a while since I've gotten to post. Very busy at work with a new job that features a pretty famous person I'm not allowed to name... Anyway, this was a sort of catch up week. So at long last, here are some sketches I never got around to posting.

First I'd like to post the studies I did of the Bradbury building, plus some sketches of LA's Grand Central Market. It was cool to go here with my class. What a complex structure! Most of my drawings of it were dedicated to understanding it; the detail may come later.

A shot of the market for an idea of where we went.




After that, we headed to the Bradbury to introduce the concept of even more extreme angles. This is a fantastically complicated building. I found the stairs very interesting.
Here's a shot of the interior for reference.



This last shot is one that I would like to refine in the coming weeks. It contains a lot of information and I feel that it will be a challenge.

Next I headed to the Pasadena auditorium. This was a fun group of buildings, I practiced wide shots here.





Last of all, I headed to the Burbank Mall. Ed pointed out that the circular structure of the interior would serve to help with my repurposing assignment later in the semester.


 The above shots are from the balcony of the mall, drawing the street outside. Cars have got to be one of the hardest things to draw. It was also tricky to sell the hills on the landscape, since they weren't very steep.




This last shot would be a fun shot to refine. I wish the curves were straighter and cleaner, but I feel like I captured the multiple tiers that exist in the building.


No comments:

Post a Comment