Monday, March 3, 2014

Sketching for Environment - Some more work from last week

So this week was unique in that it allowed me to push my imagination. This is a bit of a late post, but things have been busy at the office lately. So here goes! My building was troublesome; it has no real interior, and therefore it isn't the exterior of any interior... it was more of just a monument. So I decided to build up a museum of science around it, seeing as it honors space exploration and aviation already.

These were my interiors, using the Portal of the Folded Wings as the centerpiece. It was fun to work with curves and rounded shapes, which complimented the architecture of the original building. I would love to visit this museum.

The exterior was even trickier, but I used the limitations of the surrounding landscape as a guide.







And finally, here is my detail drawing on 8x10 of my previous assignment. I picked a wide shot that displayed both the shrine and the space shuttle model, since both were interesting to me.
Here's my original thumbnail. First I printed it out on large paper...

 I used a foreground to background approach to challenge myself to think differently, since I usually like going for the back and then drawing things on top. Here I decided that this tree would be the closest thing to the camera.
 After I had the tree down, it was time to establish the ground plane. It's difficult to see, but here's a grid layer.
Then, it was time for the midground elements. These trees were fun to draw, but I had trouble getting the spaceship to sit on the ground, even though I obeyed my grid.
 My main building was supposed to be a big part of this drawing, even though it serves as kind of a background element. I used my imagination for some of the intricate carvings and even looked at other Italian architecture to inspire me. Don't mind the back of the building, there's some distortion from the paper.
Last of all, I drew a background layer from memory to stop the eye from going too deep, keeping in mind where I wanted to focus the viewer's eye.


No comments:

Post a Comment